Open questions about the number PI
Russell B
2003-07-17 19:20:42 UTC
1. Does each of the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 each occur
infinitely often in PI?
2. Brouwer's question: In the decimal expansion of PI, is there a place
where a thousand consecutive digits are all zero?
3. Is PI simply normal to base 10? That is does every digit appear equally
often in its decimal expansion in an asymptotic sense?
4. Is PI normal to base 10? That is does every block of digits of a given
length appear equally often in its decimal expansion in an asymptotic sense?
5. Is PI normal ? That is does every block of digits of a given length
appear equally often in the expansion in every base in an asymptotic sense?
The concept was introduced by Borel in 1909.
6. Another normal question! We know that PI is not rational so there is no
point from which the digits will repeat. However, if PI is normal then the
first million digits 314159265358979... will occur from some point. Even if
PI is not normal this might hold! Does it? If so from what point? Note: Up
to 200 million the longest to appear is 31415926 and this appears twice.
There's an extremely nasty universal surprise waiting at the end of Pi.
Just drop it.
PI OUTED MY PHONE NUMBER.
NUKE PI!!!1!
MY SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER IS PI AND THE
DAMN CARD DOESN'T FIT IN MY WALLET???2?
Dear readers, I have devised a complex mathematical joke that exploits
the possibilities inherent in the English language to the fullest. I
will now present it to you.
Question: What does a grumpy, mean professor of mathematics say to a
student who has confused the value of Pi with that of the
mathematical constant e?
Answer: "PI'S OFF!!!3!"
Ta daa.
Lovely. I, too, have just now devised a mathematical joke - my
religious beliefs forbid the telling of COMPLEX mathematical jokes, of
course, so this mathematical joke will be in the simple style of
SLAPSTICK. I sincerely hope you all enjoy it.
Question: What do you call a heated argument between two grumpy,
mean professors of mathematics?
Answer: PI FIGHT!!!4!
Cha Ching.
Reaffirming my commitment to bringing the people of Netnews quality
mathematical jokes, I've taken the liberty of composing ANOTHER math
quip. I'd be honoured if you, my dear readers, took a moment to
appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
Question: What do you call a marijuana pipe shared by two grumpy,
mean, and stoned professors of mathematics who met on a Usenet
newsgroup, where they discussed "Brouwer's question"?
Answer: PI NG BONG!!!5!
Boi-oi-oi-oi-oing.
Okay, okay. Everybody please be quiet. I have got one. Okay, listen to
this joke. Please be quiet. I am going to tell it now.

*ahem*

Question: When a Japanese professor of mathematics happens to run into his
Italian half-brother, also a professor of mathematics, at a convention of
professors of mathematics in Florence, Italy, how does he address his
half-brother in this moment of surprise and delight?

Answer: PI-SAN!!!6!

Ba-da-bing.
03:15:38 GMT
2003-07-20 09:41:22 UTC
Post by Russell B
[...]
Not to be outdone, I've put my brain to work and come up with a
mathematical joke that, I hope, is worthy of its illustrious
predecessors (quoted above). In the interest of common good, I shall
presently share it with you, the denizens of these fair newsgroups.

Question: To what is to be credited the high rate of grumpy,
depressed mathematics professors who, after years of devoting their
lives to studying the wonders of Pi, shoot themselves in the head?

Answer: PI'S TOLL!!!7!

Blammo.
Ari <***@all.at>
flaXagg
2003-07-20 10:06:17 UTC
Post by 03:15:38 GMT
Post by Russell B
[...]
I submit the following mathematical joke with some reluctance. It was
told to me by my grumpy father on his deathbed; I laughed out of fear
and respect, of course, but I must admit I never quite "got" the thing.
It seems to fit with the theme of the evening, however, so here's
hoping there's a mathematical professor in the audience that shares my
father's sense of humour.

Question: What do you call a debate between two grumpy, mean
mathematical professors that interrupts a Broadway show full
of filthy, naked hippies?

Answer: HAIR PI!!!8!

Sodomy.
--